Greetings in the Name of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, and welcome to the Friendship Bible Church BLOG, your source for announcements and information about what's happening at FBC.

For up to the minute information, follow us on Twitter.

And check out our main website, too, for everything else related to Friendship Bible Church in Randolph, Ohio - www.friendshipbiblechurch.org



Monday, October 15, 2007

Back to Bethel

I am the God of Bethel, where you anointed a pillar and where you made a vow to me. (Genesis 31:13)

I spent Friday and Saturday in the southern Ohio woods, hunting that most elusive of creatures, the Whitetail deer. I saw a few, but none came close to my stand. So I returned home empty handed. Sunday afternoon, I rested after church by climbing into a tree on the in laws' farm, but as darkness fell I had seen no deer. It was a frustrating end to a frustrating weekend, which filled my mind as I drove home in the dark. I ruminated on the poor attendance in Sunday School and church earlier in the day, and that only added to the little black cloud that had been building all weekend. Even this morning's Bible reading and prayer time didn't seem to dispel the feelings of thumb-suckiness which enveloped me, so I readied myself for work and stepped outside to begin my morning commute.

And there they were...

Standing right in the middle of my backyard...

Stately, beautiful, amazing examples of God's creative genius...

Four beautiful whitetail deer, right in the middle of my yard, smiling at me and mocking me!

I watched transfixed as they bounded away, and as they disappeared into the woods my thumb-sucky attitude seemed to go with them. Something about seeing them reminded me of all the good things in my life, and chastised me for letting minor disappointments and strifes get me down.

Yesterday's Sunday School lesson spoke of Jacob, and his time at Bethel, when he saw his vision of a ladder reaching up to heaven, and where he vowed he would serve the Lord forever. Later in his life, he would return to Bethel. Sometimes we need to step away from all the issues of our lives and return to our Bethel, remind ourself of all that God has done for us in the past, and claim His promises for all He will do for us in the future. No matter how down in the dumps you might get, the story is just simply not over yet!

Need some encouragement this morning? Go back to Bethel and think for a while on all God has done for you. And just as those four whitetails faded away into the underbrush, so too will your discouragement.

No comments: