Greetings in the Name of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, and welcome to the Friendship Bible Church BLOG, your source for announcements and information about what's happening at FBC.

For up to the minute information, follow us on Twitter.

And check out our main website, too, for everything else related to Friendship Bible Church in Randolph, Ohio - www.friendshipbiblechurch.org



Monday, February 18, 2008

My Friend from Berea

These were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness of mind, and searched the scriptures daily, whether those things were so. (Acts 17:11)

Cringing inwardly, I heard my Christian brother's voice rise in both tempo and tone as the conversation turned to politics. Not a fan of our current leader, he let loose with a string of comments that left no doubt of his vitriol. I tuned him out for a moment and hearkened back to a conversation at my kitchen table years earlier. But back then I was the one saying unkind and negative things about a president. Blushing with shame I told my friend of that incident in my life, and how the Lord had convicted me about it with this verse Thou shalt not revile the gods, nor curse the ruler of thy people. (Exodus 22:28). I also mentioned that according to the Bible, God is the One who puts men or women in positions of power, including the oval office: Let every soul be subject unto the higher powers. For there is no power but of God: the powers that be are ordained of God. (Romans 13:1)

Hearing this, my friend at first was argumentative, bringing forth that favorite of American heresies "I don't think that's what that means... that's not what it means to me!" So I dropped it and we went on to other topics...

... until about 30 minutes later when my friend, who had been getting quieter and quieter said, "What was that verse in Romans you mentioned? "Romans 13:1," I replied, and watched as he walked to his bookshelf and pulled down his well-worn Bible. Soon he was deep in contemplation as he thought about what the Bible says in that verse.

What a picture of Berean Christianity! He heard what was said, but then went to the Bible to make sure it was true.

Are you that honest with Scripture... that open to its teaching... that willing to let it change your actions and thoughts? May God make us all Berean Christians!

No comments: