Greetings in the Name of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, and welcome to the Friendship Bible Church BLOG, your source for announcements and information about what's happening at FBC.

For up to the minute information, follow us on Twitter.

And check out our main website, too, for everything else related to Friendship Bible Church in Randolph, Ohio - www.friendshipbiblechurch.org



Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Slow Pokes

I left myself more time than usual today, assuming the roads would be bad for my morning commute. I was not disappointed. Some stretches of road were pretty terrible. I found that the highways were glares of ice, while the back roads weren't quite so bad. So after a few white-knuckled minutes of slithering helplessly, I pulled off onto the back roads for the remainder of my trip. I was just congratulating myself on the strategy when I noticed I was approaching the car in front of me rather rapidly. I slowed. Then I slowed some more. Soon I found that I was traveling only 20 MPH behind somebody who obviously didn't realize (as I did) that this road was perfectly clear.

Doesn't that just drive you nuts? For the next few miles I stared at the back of that slow poke as we crept along at walking speed. It was a Kia Sportage. That is burned into the backs of my retinas from having stared at it so long.

But as I was fighting the impulse to glare at the person, or shake my fist, or honk my horn, I was reminded of Psalm 37:23, which says "The steps of a man are ordered by the Lord." I pondered that for a bit and remembered that that includes not only the direction of the steps, but also the speed.

Perhaps God was protecting me from something down the road. Or perhaps He just wanted me to slow down for a while. Regardless of why, He was directing my steps. And He directs yours. Let's trust Him today to guide us where He wants us to go, and at just the speed He wants us to travel.

No comments: