Greetings in the Name of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, and welcome to the Friendship Bible Church BLOG, your source for announcements and information about what's happening at FBC.

For up to the minute information, follow us on Twitter.

And check out our main website, too, for everything else related to Friendship Bible Church in Randolph, Ohio - www.friendshipbiblechurch.org



Thursday, June 7, 2007

Too Much To Do? SLOW DOWN!

I could feel the scream rising in my throat, and I could feel the blood pressure rising in my ears. Suppressing the scream, I reached down and picked up the handkerchief from the floor, where I had just dropped it.

It was one of those mornings where I was in a tremendous hurry. When that happens, I usually try to perform my morning ablutions and dress at warp speed. Unfortunately, I have developed a problem in the last few years where I drop things. For no known reason, when I pick something up, it will simply leap out of my hand on onto the ground. It has become somewhat chronic. And when I'm in a hurry, and trying to move quickly, it becomes acute - thus explaining the handkerchief which was now on the floor for the third time this morning.

As I stooped to pick it up yet again, the thought occurred, "Why don't you just slow down a little bit? Maybe things will go a little smoother." And so I did. And things did go smoother.

Have you ever noticed that you can accomplish more in life if you slow down? There is definitely a point of diminishing returns, when more activity does not mean more productivity. It just means more activity and more stress. Are you there? If so, may I encourage you to slow down.

Jesus said to the disciples one day, "Come apart and rest for awhile." You need to slow down, and spend time with the Lord. It may seem like you cannot afford the time, but in reality you will have MORE time. No matter how busy you are, you need to set aside some time every day of the world to pray and read your Bible. When you slow down, you'll discover that things go smoother.

It's one of God's principles that applies in every area of life. When we invest ourselves in God, we always have greater returns. Invest money in God through tithes and offerings, and you will always have more money. And investing time in God pays back in the same way - you will have more time.

Do you have too much to do? SLOW DOWN.

No comments: