Greetings in the Name of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, and welcome to the Friendship Bible Church BLOG, your source for announcements and information about what's happening at FBC.

For up to the minute information, follow us on Twitter.

And check out our main website, too, for everything else related to Friendship Bible Church in Randolph, Ohio - www.friendshipbiblechurch.org



Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Amazed by the Gospel

Long my imprisoned spirit lay,
Fast bound in sin and nature’s night;
Thine eye diffused a quickening ray—
I woke, the dungeon flamed with light;
My chains fell off, my heart was free,
I rose, went forth, and followed Thee.
-- from Charles Wesley's hymn, "And Can It Be"

I continue to read the excellent book by Mark Dever entitled "Nine Marks of a Healthy Church." This morning, I read that a healthy church will have a right understanding of evangelism and discipleship. Dever made many excellent points, but then summed up his thoughts with this comment:

"We need to get back to being amazed at the gospel."

And it was as if I had been clubbed. I was immediately convicted of the vital truth of that statement. "We need to get back to being amazed at the gospel."

This past week, Ms. Rowlings sold 8.5 million copies of her latest installment in the Harry Potter series of books. Why? Because she knows how to tell a story, and people will always stand in line for a good story.

But the gospel is the greatest story ever told. How is it that so few are interested? How is it that our churches are empty? RCC was empty six months ago when I arrived, and although it's got a few less empty seats - it's still pretty empty!

"We need to get back to being amazed at the gospel."

When was the last time you were amazed with it? When was the last time you found it so astonishing that you just had to share it with somebody? The early Christians were amazed by the gospel, and they "turned the world upside down" (Acts 17:6) as a result. Paul the Apostle was amazed by it, and he reached the entire known world during his lifetime.

God can build a church at Randolph, but He will do it the way He always has, by the proclamation of His Word - His amazing good news gospel.

May God forgive me for allowing the gospel to become anything but amazing in my heart. And may God help me to become once again astonished by it. Will you, my friend, pray the same prayer?

Wesley said it well:

Amazing love! How can it be,
That Thou, my God, shouldst die for me?

No comments: