Greetings in the Name of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, and welcome to the Friendship Bible Church BLOG, your source for announcements and information about what's happening at FBC.

For up to the minute information, follow us on Twitter.

And check out our main website, too, for everything else related to Friendship Bible Church in Randolph, Ohio - www.friendshipbiblechurch.org



Friday, July 20, 2007

Tremble

I never cease to be amazed at how God wants to communicate with us. If we will just seek His face, He will be there, and He will reveal more and more of His truth to us.

An example happened to me in just the last 2 days.

This past Wednesday we held our first midweek prayer meeting. These meetings last no more than 1 hour, and have a two-part format - discussion style Bible study followed by praying for those in our church by name. This week we prayed for the first 10 families in our church database by name. Next week we'll pray over the next 10, and so on until we reach the end of the list, at which time we will start over. If you are in our database, you are being prayed for by name. We also prayed for our missionaries, by name.

But the example I refer to happened in the Bible study portion of the meeting, not the prayer time. We began a discussion of Bible words - important words in the Bible and what they mean. I asked for suggestions on words we might study - words like submission, faithfulness, forgiveness, love, etc. One person suggested a word I would never have thought of - trembling. And so I wrote it down for study.

This morning I opened my Bible for my daily time with God, and read this:

The LORD reigneth; let the people tremble: he sitteth between the cherubims; let the earth be moved. (Psalm 99:1 KJV)

I encourage you today to read Psalm 99. For in it God gives us a picture of His holiness. And when we get a view of God in His holiness, we cannot help but tremble.

How do you see God, my friend? Is "love" the only word that comes to mind when you think of God? I have a Basset Hound named Chloe that is like that. She only loves, always, no matter what I do to her. Is that your picture of God? If so, how do you explain things like Psalm 99 in the Bible, where God's justice and holiness are said to be reasons for us to tremble?

Interesting thoughts, huh? We'll talk more about it on a coming Wednesday night study, so plan on coming and joining in the discussion. We need you there. Your brothers and sisters need you to be praying for them, just as they pray for you.

No comments: