Greetings in the Name of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, and welcome to the Friendship Bible Church BLOG, your source for announcements and information about what's happening at FBC.

For up to the minute information, follow us on Twitter.

And check out our main website, too, for everything else related to Friendship Bible Church in Randolph, Ohio - www.friendshipbiblechurch.org



Tuesday, July 10, 2007

In the Dark

In the black silence of the woods, my stifled cries of pain sounded much louder than then really were. For the millionth time, I felt my flesh tearing as I tried to pull away from the blackberry bush which had snagged me. I knew I was in the general area where I wanted to set my tree stand, but it was pitch black, and I was obviously off course.

Deer hunters like to get into the woods before light, so as not to disturb the deer which are out feeding during the night. The problem, of course, is that you have to try and silently move through the woods in the dark. And stumbling in the dark is no fun.

Bartimaeus knew all about that. I encourage you to read about him today in Mark 10:46-52. He was a blind man, and he sat by the roadside begging. One day he heard a commotion and learned that Jesus was passing by. He began to scream out, "Jesus, Son of David, have mercy on me!" He was in the dark, and yet he knew his only hope was to get to Jesus.

What a picture of us all! We are all blind and stumbling in the dark, until we get to Jesus. Only Jesus can give us sight. Now there are many forms of blindness. Some are blind because they have never heard the truth. Some are blind because they have heard but reject the truth. And some are blind because they don't think the truth applies to them.

Don't stumble in the dark, my friend. If you will but run to Jesus, He will turn the lights on. He alone can make blind eyes see.

Amazing grace, how sweet the sound
That saved a wretch like me.
I once was lost but now am found,
Was BLIND but NOW I SEE!

No comments: